POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : GUI for mounting a scene : Re: GUI for mounting a scene Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GUI for mounting a scene
From: Tony
Date: 11 Feb 2005 17:55:03
Message: <420d37c7$1@news.povray.org>
Cesar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm kinda new to POVRay but I've been working on some objects for a while.
> I was planning to use kpovmodeler, but now
> that I'm going to make the actual scene, I just can't import the objects!
> When I try importing a .pov file, i get a lot of problems, including
> "unexpected token 'include'" and when I try to add the .inc file, i get a
> "Undefined identifier "mesh2"" warning.
> Can I modify the files so that kpovmodeler accepts it (I can render the
> objects with povray, the problem is with kpov, not the files)??? Or maybe I
> should use another tool/GUI?
>
> Thanks!

Cesar,

I'm still very new to POV as well and I've been searching around for something
that will do what you are talking about.  I've loved Moray because of it's
compatibility and one stop shopping for both object and texture editing.  Sadly
I spend my available cash on other things and don't like using a program I love
but can't afford to register.  When I finally decide to save my pennies, Moray
will be modeler of choice.

That said, I've had great success using Art of Illusion java modeler to create
objects.  The interface is a little bare bones, but relatively intuitive for
creating objects.  It outputs mesh files for POV just fine, but I've found that
the texture editor isn't quite useful.  I like to create the objects assign a
basic texture and then hand code a better texture in the SDL.  In fact I like
the combination of GUI roughing and then hand tweaking.  That allows me to
create scenes easily enough to not get frustrated but also allows me to learn a
little bit about what things do.

Good Luck,
Tony

PS... you can find AOI at www.artofillusion.org.