POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Elliptical Torus? : Re: Elliptical Torus? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elliptical Torus?
From: David Cameron
Date: 11 Feb 2005 17:48:58
Message: <420d365a$1@news.povray.org>
"David Cameron" <nom### [at] tome> wrote in message

> "Alf Peake" <alf### [at] peake42freeservecouk> wrote in message
> > "David Cameron" wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > > Do any of you know how to produce an elliptical torus?
> > >

> > This any use?
> > http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticTorus.html
> >
> > Alf
> >

> Thanks for that Alf,
> At first glance glance the diagram seems to suggest the ellipse is in the
> y-z plane instead of the x-z plane (pov coordinate system), which I am
sure
> I could find a use for.
> If I can figure out how to convert those equations to plug in to a
> Parametric (preferably using param.inc), I will play around with it.

Sorry, that was probably unclear Alf,
I should have stated that object (at first glance appears to me) is
eliptical around the minor radii and not the major radii.
Major and minor radius in terms of povray torus syntax.

torus { major_radius, minor_radius }

The macro I was looking for is
#macro elliptical_torus( x_major_radius, z_major_radius, minor_radius)

I think that torus at mathworld is equivolent to:
#macro elliptical_torus( major_radius, x_minor_radius, y_minor_radius )
when orientated like a pov torus (x z plane)

But like I said Alf, I am sure I could find a use for it.

Thanks again,
Dave