POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd slope pattern behavior (bug?) : Re: Odd slope pattern behavior (bug?) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd slope pattern behavior (bug?)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 11 Feb 2005 02:40:23
Message: <420c6167$1@news.povray.org>
I think this might be something to do with 'altitude', mainly if not
entirely so.

Having now tried it by using (just now realized you did not use curly
braces):

   slope {
   altitude y*4, -2, 2
   }

I see that it seems to clean up your "bug". Keeping in mind that those
gradient y patterns are still going to repeat over every unit of length
along the y axis. So I also tried replacing them with function {abs(y)},
too.

Perhaps this is all that is going on, simply a matter of defining the object
extents for the slope pattern, or vice versa, so it fits.

Back to my previous reply, just to try and clarify hopefully, what I was
thinking about mostly was the way normals might be applied by the slope
pattern initially. If they were used inclusive to the slope pattern, as well
as the physical surface of an object, then that could mess with the
texturing in an unwanted way, as in you might like to retain a predeclared
texture for use in the slope pattern yet not apply slope to it.

Your examples seemed to imply the normal pattern gets used only after
reusing the slope pattern within other patterns. I had thought you wanted it
to react in all cases. To my way of thinking I wouldn't expect it to be
involved at all, really, unless there were a way to apply slope over another
texture on purpose and then have it react to those normals just like the
object surface shapes.

This is all something I hadn't considered until after reading your first
message.

Bob Hughes