POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : GUI for mounting a scene : Re: GUI for mounting a scene Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:31:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GUI for mounting a scene
From: Jim Charter
Date: 10 Feb 2005 22:02:01
Message: <420c2029$1@news.povray.org>
Cesar wrote:
> Thanks for answering! This is interesting. Anyway, what scene production
> "pipeline" would you suggest? For example: create or conver to .foo files
> and use FOOModeler to compose your scene and export to POVRay.

Moray is the only modeller to have attracted loyal proponents and over a
long period.

> You think I should give up on GUIs and type the scene using a text editor? I
> think it's a lot harder (for example, how do I know one weird object is
> touching the other if I can't see it. It sounds a lot harder...) But if
> it's the best way...

It is entirely personal and relative to the subject being modeled.  The
placement problem for irregular shapes is certainly one solved more
easily with GUI modelers.  Scripters on the other hand like the ability
to specify the exact dimensions of shapes and devise geometric means to
predict their contact points if at all possible.  The beauty of
scripting is that it is theoritically possible to conpletely plan and
encode a scene and have it render perfectly the first time!
...theoretically.