POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Odd slope pattern behavior (bug?) : Re: Odd slope pattern behavior (bug?) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd slope pattern behavior (bug?)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 9 Feb 2005 19:57:59
Message: <420ab197$1@news.povray.org>
Hiya Rune.

Okay... you are asking about the slope pattern being, or not being, applied
where a normal exists depending on it being a part of the original texture
within the slope pattern, or used later as another pattern containing it as
a whole slope pattern.

My way of thinking would be this: The normal shouldn't be able to be used as
a virtual surface, and as so, not be applicable to the slope pattern when
the texture is within the pattern list. However, this obviously shows it
does if used later in another texture pattern, neither of which might not be
incorrect or any bug.

Have to ask if you'd rather have the slope be effected by normals or instead
retain original texturing, which is why it reasons to me that it works as
expected. That is, keeping the non-slope texturing for individual patterns
(your TextureA) but perhaps use the normal if the slope pattern itself is
reused in another pattern later (TextureB).

Not sure if I made all that clear enough to everyone reading this. It could
be something done differently I suppose, just that I see it doing what I'd
expect of it after a little thought here.