POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : tracking simulation : Re: tracking simulation Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tracking simulation
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 8 Feb 2005 15:29:17
Message: <4209211d$1@news.povray.org>
> For now, I'm going to vary the focal length of the camera to see if it
> is related, but seems it is not the source of error. I've read from this
> newsgroup that the pov-ray unit is not related to the real world unit
> (centimeter or meter). Would it be the source of the error?

Though a POV-Unit is not "standardized" in any way to be either cm, or
meter, or mile, or whatever, this doesn't mean that the usual physics don't
apply (as in parallax effects, angles, distances, etc). It's just that you
can't tag unit = cm. Just think about it, even cm is just an arbitrary
dimension someone has thought up someday.

So it just depends on your scene-file if unit=cm or unit=meter or unit=?.
That just means you've got to multiply the distances with some factors.

As for the 40cm deviation: is that only happening on the POV-Ray images?
Could you post a comparison image of photo vs Pov-Ray image with markers to
p.b.i?

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>