POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering: System req. and time. : Re: Rendering: System req. and time. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering: System req. and time.
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 7 Feb 2005 16:15:46
Message: <4207da82$1@news.povray.org>
> When i got into pov deep enough i would like to generate big pics.
> so does the rendering time increase linear to pic-size?
> have any of you rendered a pic with a sice of about 8000x12000 pixels?
> and if so, how long did it take to render the scene? (i know it depends on
> hardware but anyway)

I've rendered several 3200x2400 and 2400x3200 images. The rendering times
vary between a few hours and a few days (longest ever so far was 3.5 days,
I've got 2.4GHz Athlon XP with 768 MB RAM on Win2000). Generally, you can
just multiply your rendering time on a decent sized image (e.g. 800x600)
with the new resolution, but remember that total pixels quadruple when you
double the resolution!

But that's really a very rough estimate, there are many factors that go into
this. Generally, don't go for a large render until you've optimized the hell
out of the scene, and even then, be sure you need the resolution and can't
do with anything slightly smaller.

Regards,
Tim
--