POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Indentations/Lines on balls : Re: Indentations/Lines on balls Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Indentations/Lines on balls
From: Rick Measham
Date: 7 Feb 2005 18:16:04
Message: <4207F6B9.3020400@nomail>
Rick Measham wrote:
> We've all use a tennis ball or basket ball. I'm trying to model some
> balls in pov and need some help. What's the best way to create the
> lines that go around them? (Like the white one on a tennis ball and
> the black ones on a basketball)

Maurice replied:
> Looking for this:
> http://objects.povworld.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?X=ball

Exactly that! Thanks.

However, the method here uses a texture map around the ball -- which
works well -- but I don't know how to properly create the lines for a
netball. I can play around. I've worked out that a rectangular line run
through photoshops rectangular-to-polar will give me something fairly
useful, but I still need to work out what the pattern is. If there is a
known, easy, way to do this can someone let me know?

Cheers!
Rick