POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Indentations/Lines on balls : Indentations/Lines on balls Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Indentations/Lines on balls
From: Rick Measham
Date: 7 Feb 2005 00:34:59
Message: <4206fe03@news.povray.org>
We've all use a tennis ball or basket ball. I'm trying to model some
balls in pov and need some help. What's the best way to create the lines
that go around them? (Like the white one on a tennis ball and the black
ones on a basketball)

My main goal is to model a netball. They have a different pattern than
most balls as the lines are really the stitch lines between each piece
of leather that makes the ball.

See one here:
http://www.supertramp.co.uk/images/gilbert_all_weather_netball.jpeg

I can get the material right (or close enough) just by playing around.
However, what advice can I get on the lines? They don't need to resemble
stitches as only the top balls are REALLY stitched. The others are just
pressed into the plastic.

Cheers!
Rick Measham