POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using a height_field for a CSG difference ... : Re: Using a height_field for a CSG difference ... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using a height_field for a CSG difference ...
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 5 Feb 2005 19:28:04
Message: <42056494@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote in message
>> One of the bizarre effects was that
>> no matter what I did, the hole cut by the heightfield would extend all
>> the
>> way through to the other side of the object.  It didn't seem to matter
>> how
>> small I made the heightfield or how deep I made the box.
>

> By the way, are you aware that your height field surface is completely
> outside of the box's surface? This is why it cuts all the way through.
> Since
> you're rotating it by -90 degrees in the x direction, it extends from Z =
> 0
> backwards to Z = -0.5, whereas your box extends from Z = 0 to Z = 1. So
> everything in the box {0, <0.5, 0.5, infinity>} is cut away by the height
> field.

I think I understand what's going on now.  Originally, I had used a
heightfield with "waterlevel".  Even though the heightfield appeared just as
I expected, the difference operation was quite a bit different from what I
had expected.  I tried to make an example based on that faulty bit of code.
Simply rotating and translating (in order so "slice" from the other
direction) seems to have fixed the problem.

I was not aware of the "infinity" aspect of heightfields.  I believed that
they were contained within a box, which then led to my confusion.  Thanks
for the "paradigm shift".  ;-)

This code below produces what I expected to see (though it's not the
cleanest bit of code).

difference {
  box { 0, 1}
  height_field {