POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using a height_field for a CSG difference ... : Re: Using a height_field for a CSG difference ... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using a height_field for a CSG difference ...
From: Slime
Date: 4 Feb 2005 22:49:40
Message: <42044254$1@news.povray.org>
> One of the bizarre effects was that
> no matter what I did, the hole cut by the heightfield would extend all the
> way through to the other side of the object.  It didn't seem to matter how
> small I made the heightfield or how deep I made the box.

By the way, are you aware that your height field surface is completely
outside of the box's surface? This is why it cuts all the way through. Since
you're rotating it by -90 degrees in the x direction, it extends from Z = 0
backwards to Z = -0.5, whereas your box extends from Z = 0 to Z = 1. So
everything in the box {0, <0.5, 0.5, infinity>} is cut away by the height
field.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]