POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Floating point precision : Re: Floating point precision Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floating point precision
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 4 Feb 2005 01:49:59
Message: <42031b17@news.povray.org>
> When you save your data to a file, you may loose some digit, truncating or
choping off the last
> digits. Try adjusting the number of digit writen. When you evaluate the
pigment, you are using the
> raw data from the FPU and are geting the full acuracy.
> The result is that the saved data is no longer the same as it was, and is
now diverging from the
> pigment.

Might be a possible clue, though the positions are already saved to disk on
both occasions, so it's not the reading of the positions. Only the
mesh2-objects get written and parsed, in the first scene they're used
directly & get written to disk, in the second only the saved ones are used.
It might be possible that the mesh2-objects then differ *slightly*, but it's
not the object that's different, rather than the selected length and it's
position. I'm thinking that I'm doing some arithmetic wrong at some point,
so that some objects get rotated away from their actual position, and it's
not the color that's changing, but the visible part is moved somewhere else
due to the wrong rotation.

Regards,
Tim

--