POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Results : Re: Results Server Time
1 May 2024 18:29:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Results
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 3 Feb 2005 21:51:19
Message: <4202e327$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

> I totally agree.  And you said it well.

Yep.  A long-race against worthy opponents, perhaps.  I hate to think of
anyone as being an "opponent" though.  :-)

> The whole thing evidently weighed on people's minds a lot. Several people
> feeling the need to explain their decision, one way or another. I think a
> high-profile event like this is quite a learning experience for us, and
> across several issues.  During the course of the entire contest, in both
> its phases, I believe I have personally experienced every feeling of doubt
> and apprehension that has been voiced here.

Luckily, I guess I shoved most of my doubt and apprehension aside until
after I submitted my image.  Then I started looking around at raph.com,
trying out new ideas, looking at Gilles' Mini Cooper scene, etc.  Suddenly,
my entry didn't seem good enough anymore.  Eventually it wore me down.  For
a few days I was convinced that my entry would "suck", and I sunk into a bit
of depression.  I've shown my entry to some family and friends and I got
some encouraging words, but also things like, "What's that supposed to
be???" and, "I don't get it..."  I'm sure everyone gets that.  It's hard to
know if you should take someone's advice.

Tonight, I feel more relaxed, thanks in part to Gilles' statement.  Funny
how that works.  Somehow, knowing that the entries are higher quality makes
me feel better about everyone involved, including me.  Competing in any
competition always teaches me something about myself.  Regardless of the
end-result, I think THAT is a good thing.

I'm glad the judging for this competition is anonymous.  Otherwise, I would
feel less inclined to speak this openly.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com