POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Povray optimization on G5 : Re: Povray optimization on G5 Server Time
1 Jul 2024 12:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray optimization on G5
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Feb 2005 10:41:23
Message: <42024623@news.povray.org>
popov wrote:
> And Thorsten, you do not have to explain me why '-mpowerpc64 is simply
> 'wrong in this context', but maybe you can just give me a reference to the
> apple developer documentation for this.

Look up what it does - it enables use of 64-bit instructions, which has far
more implications than just "speeding up long long", it also implies
something about how much bytes end up on the stack.  As there is no 64-bit
memory model (yet), the use of the flag is wrong in this context - which is
compiling of POV-Ray.

> The default build is optimized for the PPC7450 (G4), which in some aspects
> is quite different to the G5.

Now that you have a PPC 970 compile, how fast is it compared to the defaults
provided when rendering the standard benchmark?

> There is nothing wrong about people are playing with this. This very
> important in the open software community in order to improve software and
> working out bugs.
> Answers a la Thorsten however are not very constructive...

You need to know the background to understand the answer.  That is given on
the Apple developer page.  You certainly won't find Apple holding your hand
and saying: Do not use -mpowerpc64 when compiling POV-Ray because [...]. ;-)

	Thorsten