POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Povray optimization on G5 : Re: Povray optimization on G5 Server Time
1 Jul 2024 12:55:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray optimization on G5
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Feb 2005 12:41:27
Message: <420110c7@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:
>> The flag -mpowerpc64 is simply wrong in this context.
>

>     Just a wild guess: Mac OS X 10.3 is not yet 64-bit, only the
> next 10.4 version ("Tiger") is/will be?

No, Mac OS X correctly handles 64-bit registers. Yet, changing a native data
type has all kinds of implications one needs to consider.  One either knows
how to track down the incompatibilities this might cause or one does not.
If the later is the case, one should stay away from the option.  It would
take ages to explain everything to a person asking why does compiler switch
xyz not work as he/she expects.  Hence my recommendation to just not do
something like that and use the default build.

	Thorsten