POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : message streams : Re: message streams Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: message streams
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Feb 2005 12:29:39
Message: <42010e03@news.povray.org>
Sascha Ledinsky wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>
>> Mac applications are controlled by more advanced means than simple
>> command-lines.
>
> ROFL :-)

Only a clueless person laughs about things they do not know or understand ;-)

> So, what's the "advanced" procedure to lauch application "B" (plain mac
> pov) from application "A" on a macintosh?

If a Mac user wants to control an application, since 1990 the system and
many applications provide a very advanced "event" mechanism that - for users
- is hidden behind what is called "AppleScript".  It allows far more than
anything a command-line could ever do: Interactive control of an
application, even from another system on the other side of the world (if the
user allows it).  And that since 1990 and without having to be a computer
expert.

You are still laughing? - No!?! - Ohhhhhhhh.....

Now, that an obsolete technology like Java comes years later and all it can
do is command-line interaction is your problem.  You might consider
developing a real Mac application or just stay away from Macs.  If you just
create a PC-style Java application and hand it to Mac users, they will
ignore it anyway, but you won't understand why due to ignorance.

Until you change that, continue cleaning all those worms from your Windows
PCs and keep chasing for the latest patches on your Linux PCs. I don't need
to do either and have more time to get my work done.

	Thorsten

PS: Of course on a Mac you can just use the com.apple.cocoa.foundation and
implement
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/Java/Classes/NSScriptCommand.html>

to communicate with other Mac applications.