POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using a height_field for a CSG difference ... : Re: Using a height_field for a CSG difference ... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:28:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using a height_field for a CSG difference ...
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 1 Feb 2005 22:58:33
Message: <42004fe9$1@news.povray.org>
"Neil Kolban" <kol### [at] kolbancom> wrote in message
> Folks,
> I wanted to subtract from an object an "indentation" of a complex shape.
> Reading about CSGs and difference, it clearly stated that only solid
> objects that have clearly defined insides and outsides could be used.
> Looking at the manual, it seems to say that height_fields are solid
> objects.
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny that a height_field can be used as an object
> that I can remove from another using a CSG difference?

I have had really bizarre things happen when I have tried to use
heightfields to subtract from a CSG object.  I had a very simple
heightfield, which was simply a white circle with a black background.  I
tried differencing it from a CSG box.  One of the bizarre effects was that
no matter what I did, the hole cut by the heightfield would extend all the
way through to the other side of the object.  It didn't seem to matter how
small I made the heightfield or how deep I made the box.

Using the following code, it's pretty easy to demonstrate the problem.
Hole.png is simply a white circle on a black background.  The same thing
appears to happen under 3.5, 3.6.1, and MegaPov 1.1.

//replace the "basic scene" sphere with this
difference {
  box { 0, 1 pigment {Red} }
  height_field {
    png "hole.png"