POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Math question regarding interpolation of orientations : Re: Math question regarding interpolation of orientations Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math question regarding interpolation of orientations
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 29 Jan 2005 06:45:01
Message: <41fb773d@news.povray.org>
> The only thing I don't understand is "you could still just go ahead and
> interpolate t cubic instead of linear"... Wouldn't I need additional 2
> quaternions (that is, q0, q1, q2 and q3) to cubically interpolate
> between q1 and q2 (to construct something like a catmull-rom spline)?

Oh, now I understand! Well, I thought you were after an interpolation which
would start slow, and end slow, which would give a smooth impression. As
value t is just moving from 0 to 1 in a linear fashion, the resulting
quaternion would be a linearly paced interpolation of the two original
quaternions.

If you're after cubic interpolation with 4 or more control quaternions, well
then... Ehm... I can't help you much there, but I guess with a little
brainpower you should be able to dissect the cubic interpolation and just
figure or experiment where and how to use the slerp.Somehow. Like, eh, yeah!
;-)

Regards,
Tim

--