POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Making lasers : Re: Making lasers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:30:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making lasers
From: regdo
Date: 26 Jan 2005 13:45:10
Message: <41f7e536@news.povray.org>
Georg Olesen wrote:
> I'm trying to get a laserbeam to work. I've used the following code for the
> laser
> #declare LaserPosition = <2,1.5,1>;
> #declare LaserTarget=<0,1.5,20>;
> #declare LaserSize=<0.5,0.5,0.5>;
> light_source {LaserPosition
>               color Green
>               cylinder radius .1
>               falloff 0
>               point_at LaserTarget
>               looks_like { box {LaserPosition-LaserSize,
> LaserPosition+LaserSize color Black}}
> (There's also an additional white light source)
>
> I want to shine the laser on the side of a silver colored box, see the spot
> where it hits this box, reflect the beam onto the side of another silver
> colored box, and see the spot where it hits this box. Also I would like to
> be able to see a trace of the beam as it propagates through the "air".
>
> How do I do this??
>
> Hope you guys can help me
> In advance thanx
> kind regards
> Georg
>               }

Some more experienced huys will correct if I'm mistaken, but :
You can use a transparent cylinder with interior media (see the examples
in pov, or some scenes at IRTC : I used grdesert recently for a similar
need).
Be aware that objects do not reflect *light* (you cannot light something
by using a mirror), they reflect their environment. If the light must
follow a reflected path, you'll have to make as many media cylinders as
segments in the path of the light.

Regis.