POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Hair test (WIP, MPEG1 352kb) : Hair test (WIP, MPEG1 352kb) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Hair test (WIP, MPEG1 352kb)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 25 Jan 2005 18:11:36
Message: <41f6d228@news.povray.org>
So, I'm currently doing some tests on how to efficiently simulate a single
hair using a normal in which it starts, gravity, and wind. As of yet, few
parameters control the effect of gravity and of wind, but some tests have
showed that the length between nodes affects the outcome somewhat, which is
something I'll be investigating. I'm also thinking about limited
vector-fields and such to model the hair, but, like I said, everything's
just in an experimentation phase. Just wanted to show off what I'm currently
working on.

This test animation shows several strands of hair. The red cone in the top
corner shows the direction of the wind. The hairs get weaker during the
animation, but not very much. If you cycle it, you'll notice a rather small
jump at the end of the animation, that's when the hairs suddenly get stiffer
again.

I satisfied with the visual look, but want to do some more testing,
especially on how to achieve adaptive length-seeking without losing
detail... Anyways, suggestions, comments and links to well-documented hair
implementations based on techniques I could actually implement within
POV-Ray are welcome! :-)

Regards,
Tim

--