POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Normal-Interpolation (MPG1, 162kb) : Re: Normal-Interpolation (MPG1, 162kb) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:34:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal-Interpolation (MPG1, 162kb)
From: Rune
Date: 23 Jan 2005 18:44:11
Message: <41f436cb@news.povray.org>
The approach sounds interesting, but I think I need help understanding it.

Am I correct that since in this animation all the cones in the "basic set"
are identical except for the alignment, choosing a specific one of them is
pointless except for illustration purposes?

In the real hair macro, the point of selecting from a set of basic hairs is
that hairs pointing in different direction are affected differently by
gravity. If you had no gravity, you could have just one hair in the basic
set and use that one for all the hairs. Is that correct?

What I don't understand is why the set of basic hairs is based on a sphere
covering all possible directions, and not just a half circle covering
directions ranging from straight up to straight down. When covering an
object with hairs, selecting from this half circle of sample hairs should be
sufficient, and rotation would take care of the rest.

This doesn't take into account difference in length of hairs, but if your
full sphere approach can be made to support that, then the half circle
approach can too...

It's very possible I've misunderstood something. I'd be interested in an
elaboration of your technique. :)

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com