POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh2 instancing? : Re: Mesh2 instancing? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 instancing?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 23 Jan 2005 16:06:09
Message: <41f411c1$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, there is, of course, a *little* additional memory usage for copying
> mesh. To see if the entire mesh data is being recopied, try greatly
> increasing the mesh complexity and then running your experiment again, and
> see if it increases the peak memory proportionally or only by a little.

I've just checked and placed 30.000 individual hairs. That used 254 MB and a
few seconds less rendering time, so it seems to work... I guess there's just
more data to be saved (matrix transformations, maybe the texture, some other
overhead stuff because it's in a union?) than I anticipated.

If someone with technical insight could clarify this (because I'm curious)
and, if possible, tell me the memory-wise best solution (e.g. placing the
hairs in a union and texturing that, or texturing the hair right when it's
declared, or placing the hairs outside of a union, etc), I'd appreciate it!

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"