POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh2 instancing? : Re: Mesh2 instancing? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 instancing?
From: Slime
Date: 23 Jan 2005 13:37:37
Message: <41f3eef1$1@news.povray.org>
> My "furry fellow" image in p.b.i. used 74 hairs to place 5300 hairs, and
it
> used 18MB peak memory. The latest test place 30.000 hairs using those same
> 74 base-hairs, and I had 70MB peak memory. That'd be roughly 50MB
additional
> data for 25.000 hairs.

Well, there is, of course, a *little* additional memory usage for copying a
mesh. To see if the entire mesh data is being recopied, try greatly
increasing the mesh complexity and then running your experiment again, and
see if it increases the peak memory proportionally or only by a little.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]