POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macros Database - Now only macros and/or library from : Re: Macros Database - Now only macros and/or library from Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macros Database - Now only macros and/or library from
From: Michael Raiford
Date: 21 Jan 2005 18:41:28
Message: <41f19328$1@news.povray.org>
Jaime Medina wrote:
> POV-RAY Museum - A comprehensive database of your work
> Just macros and or libraries
> Includes postings from 1997
>
> http://JaimeMedina.com/Art/
>
> My humbled contribution to you fantastic work!
>
> Again if anyone doesn't want to se his or her work here just email me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jaime Medina
>
> Have you seen my animation?
> http://jaimemedina.com/TV/
>
> Your comments will be appreciated

Okay... Now, you're just spamming the group....

 From what I've seen, this "resource" isn't very useful. Everything that
can be found on it can also be found on the POV-Ray news servers. And it
seems to be a verbatim copy of each and every news message off of the
POV-Ray news servers... right down to the fact that it's stored in a
rar'd .news file.

If you were going to compile something:

1) At the very, very least take some effort in compiling it in a
useful/usable form. This is a no-effort job. congratulations, you used
stock software and search engine, dumped the contents of your news
reader and shoved it onto your web host. A no brainer.

2) At this level of mass verbatim copying, It would be nice if you had
*asked* the artists involved first. Personally, I don't really want a
third party archive of every single WIP and Picture posted because I had
a question. Granted, those posts do remain historically on the server
(with their context in tact, thank you.)

3) Check your legalities here, You're not permitted to duplicate the
content of the POV-Ray webservers or news servers in any way.

I think I would have been a bit more tolerent if you had taken the above
steps, asked for permission by POV-Ray's webmaster and put a little
effort into making it a browsable database of images past and present,
but as it stands now, I can do the same thing on google, and it get it
from the source, there, though Google does cache pages, and I could look
at the cached page, should I decided.

I think you probably had a novel idea, but didn't quite make the grade
on implementation. You've also exposed yourself to legal backlash,
should anyone decided to take action. This is not good for you.

Just my opinions/advice.