POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Normal-Interpolation (MPG1, 162kb) : Re: Normal-Interpolation (MPG1, 162kb) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal-Interpolation (MPG1, 162kb)
From: Slime
Date: 20 Jan 2005 17:46:27
Message: <41f034c3$1@news.povray.org>
> The big issue with hair and POV-Ray is always memory consumption. If you
> generate a strand of hair using 20 cones+spheres, and you need lots of
hair,
> you end up with literally millions of CSG-objects that need to be
rendered.
> Memory-wise, most renders will surely die the "too little memory
> available"-way.
>
> My approach is to create a basic set of hairs and point them in various
> directions. When given a normal, I won't generate an entirely new hair,
but
> rather take one of the pre-created/saved ones and rotate it by the
fraction
> required to point it correctly.

But, copying an existing CSG object doesn't take up any less memory than
creating a new one constructed from the same number and types of primitives.
How would this save anything other than parsing time to create the hairs?

Unless you're going to implement it as a *patch* which avoids actual
duplication in favor of references?

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]