POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Round-opening hole : Re: Round-opening hole Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round-opening hole
From: Slime
Date: 20 Jan 2005 17:36:23
Message: <41f03267@news.povray.org>
> I've thrown away my first idea, which was to put cylinders around the
> four sides of the box (first subtracting the radius as a box) but that
> only works along the sides of the hole. I need the corners to be nicely
> rounded too.

You've got the right idea. The corners are harder, but can be rounded off
using a torus with a minor and major radius both equal to the
roundoff-radius. Cut out one quarter of the torus by differencing (or
intersecting with) two planes. This just leaves a little bit of space
*behind* the torus which can be filled in by a small box differenced by a
cylinder.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]