POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Normal-Interpolation (MPG1, 162kb) : Normal-Interpolation (MPG1, 162kb) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:40:24 EDT (-0400)
  Normal-Interpolation (MPG1, 162kb)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 20 Jan 2005 16:57:48
Message: <41f0295c@news.povray.org>
So, as my modelling attempts haven't harvested many replies, I'm going the
"script"-approach now. :-)

I'm currently working on another set of macros based off of my Surcoat
macros (with which I've already created snow-effects). The new set will
feature hair/fur.

The big issue with hair and POV-Ray is always memory consumption. If you
generate a strand of hair using 20 cones+spheres, and you need lots of hair,
you end up with literally millions of CSG-objects that need to be rendered.
Memory-wise, most renders will surely die the "too little memory
available"-way.

My approach is to create a basic set of hairs and point them in various
directions. When given a normal, I won't generate an entirely new hair, but
rather take one of the pre-created/saved ones and rotate it by the fraction
required to point it correctly.

The animation shows this. The white cone shows the internal normal that has
been selected from the set of the colored cones on the sphere. The "nudging"
bit needs yet to be implemented, along with a better macro for the hair, or
at least some variations. Once I get a running version, I'll probably go
ahead and post an image to p.b.i to check for further comments and
suggestions. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--