POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Doesn't this image strangely looks like another? : Re: Doesn't this image strangely looks like another? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Doesn't this image strangely looks like another?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 20 Jan 2005 12:50:16
Message: <41efef58@news.povray.org>

de news:41efd1d2$1@news.povray.org...

> http://artvifcrea.site.voila.fr/Marty.html
>
> I think the first to the left was from Denis(?) Olivier? This is getting
> serious...

The plot thickens... First, at least 2 of the "architecture" images on this
page http://www.ifrance.com/artvif/GalMarty.html are from Denis Olivier's
page here : http://www.povlab.org/synthese/archi.php

at one time (he helped to develop Luxart).

Marty" but perhaps it's just a coincidence.

>From what I can see in that total mess of a site, Artvif has a section
>where "artists" can submit works, so perhaps the thief was not Artvif
>itself, but one "member" called Stephane Marty a.k.a MC2.

The oldest Artvif page I could find is this one
http://takelaka.dts.mg/artvif/
and it's talking about Madagascar. It seems that the Artvif person (who
could be Harvel Ireney as you said) later took his activities to France and
"recruited" images and texts to add to his website(s). Some of the artists

Marty" or "Pierre Carril" seem to be names borrowed from actual people
(Pierre Carril is an illustrator with ESA) and those don't have a contact
address, something that is really strange, even for scammers.

I'm starting to think that "Artvif" is just making up artist names just to
have content on his pages, so that he can post these work on community sites
to get traffic. Sometimes he takes works from actual artists, and sometimes
he just "invents" imaginary ones, taking pictures from the web to create a
portfolio and using the names of real people. Now guess what? One of the
actual artists (Pierre Angeli) who is featured on Artvif has also a page on
Denis Olivier's webpage with the same images
http://preface.povlab.org/member_gallery.php?mid=22. It really seems a bad
case of someone browsing through a website and thinking "wow this is nice so
I'll put it on my site too".

There are really odd things on the internet. I was puzzled recently by a
ring of art websites (all built on the same template) from Russia and
Ukraine all featuring the same artworks (for sale) and the same services
though I really had some doubts that it was possible to buy anything there.
Still, they were expanding this "business" to other countries. I was
contacted by the webmaster of one of these sites to upload images there and
the guy, who was based in the UK but barely spoke English, was completely
unable to tell me what the point of his (largely broken) site was.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com