POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Goodness of using pre-built models ... : Re: Goodness of using pre-built models ... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Goodness of using pre-built models ...
From: Shay
Date: 17 Jan 2005 12:29:04
Message: <41ebf5e0$1@news.povray.org>
Neil Kolban wrote:

> Do you consider it "cheating" to use 3D models from the web that are
> other peoples work as part of your composition?

I personally consider it boring. Art by amalgamation.

> Is it common practice to take these models and combine them with our
> own to build scenes?

Common here. On other forums you would get jeered (in contrast to most
original POV images being simply ignored).

> Is that considered poor practice and that to be considered a "good
> POV-Rayer" we should be building our own models?

You can see in the 'Hall of Fame' on the POV-Ray website that many "good
POV-Rayer(s)" use 3rd party models.

> What about for competitions like the IRTC?

You can go to the IRTC page and see for yourself. It has long been
accepted that a person who spends two months texturing a pre-made model
will receive higher scores than a person who makes something from
scratch (leaving perhaps only two weeks for texturing). No other
competition with which I am familiar (except perhaps POVCOMP) would
allow this.

  -Shay