POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mosaic preview vs radiosity pretrace : Re: Mosaic preview vs radiosity pretrace Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mosaic preview vs radiosity pretrace
From: Maurice
Date: 14 Jan 2005 12:07:41
Message: <41e7fc5d$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
> How come radiosity pretrace replaces mosaic preview?
>
> They work differently, they have different purposes, and the former has side
> effects which may be undesired (especially when using load_file).
>
> When I use mosaic preview, my intention is to get a fast view of the scene
> so that I can see what it looks like in general without worrying about
> detail. When I use radiosity pretrace, my intention is to add additional,
> high quality radiosity samples to my scene. The former is a convenient
> change in the order that pixels are rendered, the latter is a way of
> changing the scene itself.
>
> When I am using radiosity, I often generate a radiosity file with save_file.
> Then I can use load_file to view my image as I tweak things. I would like to
> use mosaic preview as I tweak, but doing so sends extra radiosity samples
> (which changes my radiosity data) and takes forever because it's doing so.
> Mosaic preview is essentially useless in this situation.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to first run the radiosity pretrace (based on
> the pretrace_start and pretrace_end values in the radiosity{} block), and
> then run the mosaic preview on top of that (based on the command line or ini
> settings), followed by the final pixel-by-pixel render? Then, by setting
> pretrace_start 1 pretrace_end 1, one can nearly eliminate the pretrace step,
> and then watch their image render from high to low levels of detail - as
> they would do without radiosity in the first place.
>
> Does this bother anyone else, or am I one of the few who really uses mosaic
> preview a lot?
>
> (By the way, while I'm talking about separating the two, it would really be
> nice if there were a way to turn the radiosity pretrace step off *entirely*,
> to avoid sending any extra samples at all and only use loaded data.)
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

I agree. It bothers me too that while I'm loading radiosity data from a
file, the pretrace steps still take place. If POV-Ray thinks it needs
extra samples despite loading the data, it should make a not of that in
the message window and leave the user to consider taking action or not.

I don't use mosaic view a lot. But, if radiosity and mosaic interfere
something should be done about it and your proposal sounds goods to me.
--
Maurice