POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Benchmark Results questions : Re: Benchmark Results questions Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Benchmark Results questions
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 13 Jan 2005 15:57:21
Message: <41e6e0b1$1@news.povray.org>
Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I searched through a couple of related groups and did not find an answer...
>

> I have been running the POV-Ray standard benchmark to compare results of
> different compilers on 64-bit systems (eg. Itanium 2). In my report, I want
> to include the detailed results, but I am note sure exactly what Tests and
> Succeeded mean under the Ray->Shape Intersection in the context of the
> benchmark and the standard benchmark scene.
> Example:
> Ray->Shape Intersection          Tests       Succeeded  Percentage
> Box                           79496652         9441690     11.88

Probably does not have much meaning in your case. These numbers should
remain identical for each run of the benchmark, provided the benchmark
is run with the proper options.

What this is used for is checking things like object bounding. This
helps a scene creator determine if there is an efficiency problem in the
scene. (an example would be if this number were well below about 5%
there would be a major problem, something is not bounded properly and
manual bounding may be needed)

AFAIK the only measurement for the benchmark is the time to render the
scene.

--
~Mike