POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fast way to subtract multiple spheres? : Fast way to subtract multiple spheres? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Fast way to subtract multiple spheres?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 12 Jan 2005 14:30:43
Message: <41e57ae3$1@news.povray.org>
Okay,

I have a box. I want to subtract hundreds of spheres from said box.

I have attempted 2 methods ...

1) CSG. Reasonable up to about 100, beyond 100, painful. Cand be
somewhat mitigated by bounding the final object, but that particular
object's render speed is unacceptably slow. And before you point me to
it... yes, I am aware of the holes tutorial. The object is transparent
and a merge does no better.

2) Isosurface. Quite simply, I'd recommend jumping off a building first.
Hundreds of f_sphere calls and calls to min() to create the union of
spheres is really too much to ask of POV-Ray. Render time is painful to
excruciating.

One thought I haven't entertained is... is there a function that will
give me random spherical areas w/o the high cost of a few thousand
function calls per sample?

Feature Request for POV4: Fix bounding on CSG :) <Applies asbestos clothing>

--
~Mike