POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : the modellers/plugins that exports to povray ? : Re: the modellers/plugins that exports to povray ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the modellers/plugins that exports to povray ?
From: Ross
Date: 11 Jan 2005 14:44:57
Message: <41e42cb9$1@news.povray.org>
"Hal" <pio### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> in 1st place , hello to everybody , and sorry my english
>
> i'm a newbie in povray, and i already did a few things on it ( i'll post
> them at the bottom)  , but i would like to know  the list of the modellers
> that can export the scenes to pov format , in order to be rendered in this
> awesome raytracer ...
> i know that ac3d  do it , and that's what i've been using, but i would
like
> to know if there are others modellers doing it , or if there are plugins
> make it

What platform are you running pov on? (Windows? Linux? Mac?) I'm going to
just guess Linux, since  i'm not sure if ac3d is available on the others.

Wings3D is a mesh modeller available on multiple platforms.
http://www.wings3d.com  . It's not really a scene modeller, more of an
object modeller. It can output to povray with a plugin, but as Jim Charter
pointed out to me, it's often more usefull to export to a .obj file, then
use Poseray to convert to the pov mesh format.

Poseray is at http://user.txcyber.com/~sgalls/downloads.htm and says this:
-Windows 2000 or XP strongly recomended. Windows 95, 98 and ME not tested.
-Linux windows emulator: Win4Lin and Crossover Office (reported by end
users).
-Mac windows emulator: MacOS 10.2 VirtualPC 6.1.1 with Win2000 or Blue Label
(reported by end users).
-Other emulators may also work.

Blender is also usable with a little work. (works on multiple platforms as
well),  http://www.blender.org/  . You would need the povanim plugin if i
remember correctly:
http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile/povanim_index.htm

I think there is something called KPovModeller for use under KDE. I've not
tried it.

On Windows, Moray is probably hands down the most widely used modeller.
http://www.stmuc.com/moray/ . I havn't used it in a while, but it was very
easy to use.

Then there are things like Spatch and Hamapatch. Also, a new modeller is
Silo, though it isn't free in any sense of the word. Inexpensive, for what
it can do (US$120 or so?).

Hope this helps!

-ross