POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Flash animation? : Re: Flash animation? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flash animation?
From: Lance Birch
Date: 10 Jan 2005 21:29:31
Message: <41e33a0b@news.povray.org>
"Dennis Miller" <dhm### [at] comcastnet> wrote in message
> Lance, great answer - valuable info here.
> I need to put some very high res 3D anims (POV-generated, <very> abstract,
> fast moving, colorful images) on line. All things considered (quality
being
> top priority), do you think the MX Pro version is the best of all choices?
> thanks much.
> D.

If you're going to put high res video on a site, Flash probably isn't the
right solution (unless they aren't long animations).  It'd be better to
allow the user to download the video as a separate file (something like
XviD, Quicktime, Windows Media...).  Although, then you hit the problem of
people being able to play those files (which will be a problem in some
instances with Flash, too, if people don't have the plugin).

Head to:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/13609381/103-5161976-6373430

And click on the title of one of the short films to view it as a Flash
movie.  This should give you some idea of what the format does and doesn't
do well.  FLV handles higher resolutions better when using the Sorenson
codec.

It'd be a good idea to search for a bunch of sites using Flash video and see
what the quality is like, then head to sorenson.com to read some info about
their codec (by the way, regardless of which codec is used - the default
Flash FLV codec or the Sorenson Flash FLV codec - both are supported by
Flash Player natively).  They probably have some examples of using their
codec with higher resolution videos, or comparisons between their codec and
the standard codec, which will give you a better idea of how the format
handles the sort of video you want to put online.

If you decide that Flash will probably be able to handle what you want to
do, unless you really need the additional features of the Pro version, it'd
probably be cheaper and better to buy the Standard version with the Sorenson
encoder to encode the FLVs at high quality.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com