POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Flash animation? : Re: Flash animation? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flash animation?
From: Lance Birch
Date: 10 Jan 2005 04:07:42
Message: <41e245de@news.povray.org>
"GrimDude" <a36### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in message
> > I think that Tom and GrimDude have jumped the gun slightly in answering
> > your
> > question (no offence guys, it's just that there's a little more to be
said
> > on the subject than "don't use Flash")...
>
> Maybe you're right. As for me, though, on the Tools menu of SpywareBlaster
> and under the 'Flash Killer' tab I have selected "Disable and Block
> Macromedia Flash (4.x, 5.x, 6.x) in Internet Explorer."

Eewww, Internet Explorer ;)  Sifn't Firefox!</offtopic>  Actually this whole
thread should really be in .off-topic

> Every single usage for Flash that I've seen on the net is completely
> annoying.
>
> But, I'm just another user...

You're right, the vast majority of Flash use is annoying.  However, I think
using Flash as a transport for in-page video is actually a good idea and
removes the need for a lot of other bulky and slow video plugins.  On Amazon
and a number of other large sites they're now using Flash's FLV as a way of
displaying trailers and so on - this to me is the best use of Flash I've
seen, because it's fast and simple for the end-user, and doesn't use as much
CPU time as other plugins like Quicktime and Real Player.

Unfortunately there are still too many people out there making bad use of
Flash (just as there are too many people making bad use of JavaScript).

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com