POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Reference Ideas : Re: POV-Ray Reference Ideas Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Reference Ideas
From: Maurice
Date: 3 Jan 2005 15:14:59
Message: <41d9a7c3@news.povray.org>
Renderdog wrote:

> Great ideas like
> http://book.povworld.org/

This site is out of date. Apart from the index page many links are to
non-existent sites. Already many tutorials seem lost. The idea looks
good though.

> and
> http://objects.povworld.org/

The links here seem to work okay. Probably because most point to sources
on the same server (povworld.org).

> often stagnate due to lack of interest or the person driving
> it drifts away from POV-Ray, so it would require someone
> with an ability to stick to it over the years, and it would
> be better if it was officially maintained so it's always
> available.

The Wiki-concept is IMHO worth considering. It distributes the effort of
layout and maintenance to the individual contributors. Thus reducing the
risk of content being dependant on one peron.

My initial idea of using Wikipedia is perhaps not a very good one. Their
server is rather slow. But, ofcourse one could add a link to the
tutorial pages elsewhere. I'm not sure whether the server of povray.org
is capable of supporting this.