POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : objects not rendering because of distances, etc : Re: objects not rendering because of distances, etc Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:14:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: objects not rendering because of distances, etc
From: Michael Raiford
Date: 2 Jan 2005 20:14:36
Message: <41d89c7c$1@news.povray.org>
EagleSun wrote:

> And after reading the article at
> "http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#largescaleproblems", I
> agree that it's too restrictive... and I was hoping that POV Team could let
> the users decide on the restrictions.  Granted faraway objects will not be
> accurate.... but... viewing the sun at such a faraway distance, I don't
> think anyone will notice.

Unfortunantly, the restriction isn't imposed by POV-Ray in and of
itself. Its a precision problem inherent to how most computers handle
floating point (decimal) numbers. While the numbers show an astronomical
range, the *precision* of the numbers has only a relatively very narrow
range, somewhere in the neighborhood of a few billion truely
representable numbers before you have to start dropping digits. When the
digits are dropped, the calculations are no longer accurate enough and
artifacts do occur.