POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Comments on an idea for a new plugin: Copy/Paste/Save Transform : Re: Comments on an idea for a new plugin: Copy/Paste/Save Transform Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Comments on an idea for a new plugin: Copy/Paste/Save Transform
From: Marc Jacquier
Date: 1 Jan 2005 12:26:02
Message: <41d6dd2a@news.povray.org>

news:41d6d67a$1@news.povray.org...
> Marc,
> I could probably do the coding of the plugin .. .but here the thing... I
am
> mathematically challenged.  Prior to playing in raytracing, I had no idea
> what a "spline" is.  This might be a useful project but I would need help
> with the math.
>
> Neil

Eeeerrr I can help you with the doc, but with maths, I 'm afraid I can't
(copy/paste from POV3.5 doc 6.1.9)
Splines give you a way to define 'pathways' through your scenes. You specify
a series of points, and POV-Ray interpolates to make a curve connecting
them. Every point along the spline has a numerical value. A good example of
a spline is the path of a moving object: the spline itself would be the path
traced out by the object and the 'parameter' would be time; as time changes
the object's position moves along the spline.
Therefore, given a time reference you could use this spline to find the
position of the object. In fact, splines are very well suited to animation.

regards
Marc