POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Inconsistency in text output with animations : Re: Inconsistency in text output with animations Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inconsistency in text output with animations
From: GrimDude
Date: 29 Dec 2004 19:05:20
Message: <41d34640$1@news.povray.org>
"Jellby" <jel### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Among other things, GrimDude wrote:
>
>>>  Processing Frame 25 of 11
>>
>> I think it's always been like that. It makes perfect sense to me and I
>> don't see a reason it should be changed.
>
> Perhaps the phrasing could be more clear, something like
>
>    Processing frame 25 (1 of 11)
> or
>    Processing frame 25 of 35 (started on 25)
>
> Take another example, say I have an animation of 200 frames and I render
> only the last 150. Then I see:
>
>  Processing frame 130 of 150
>
> How many frames are left? Do I have to remember that there are 200 frames
> and I started on number 51?
> If this happens to you, aren't you be surprised when after "frame 150 of
> 150" the render doesn't stop and "frame 151 of 150" starts? If you say
> "no", I guess this qualifies for a "you know you've been raytracing for
> too
> long when..." item :-P
>
> Anyway, it's just a minor issue, I just found the time to talk about it,
> but
> it's not a big deal :-)
>
> --

You know you've been raytracing for too long when your posed supposition
includes multiple instances of 'if.'

I understand that it can be confusing. There are many such events with
Pov-Ray. That's why I enjoy the program so much; I get so many chances to
celebrate my own human nature through error propagation.

- Grim