POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Inconsistency in text output with animations : Re: Inconsistency in text output with animations Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:14:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inconsistency in text output with animations
From: Tom Melly
Date: 29 Dec 2004 16:39:57
Message: <41d3242d$1@news.povray.org>
"Jellby" <jel### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

a) "Processing Frame 25 of 35" Doesn't tell you that it started on 25, but
okayish...

b) "Processing Frame 1 of 11" Doesn't tell you that there are 35 frames in
the entire sequence, but okayish...

c) "Processing Frame 1 of 35" Is just plain daft

d) "Processing Frame 25 of 11" Doesn't tell you how many more frames there
are to go, but okayish...

On balance, there are 3 info options that give some level of relevant info.

I favour seeing the total number of images that are going to be output (the
"11"), so that leaves only two options, b) and d)

However, I would also like to know what's going on at the start of the
render (in case I entered an incorrect set of parameters, such as +KFF11 and
forgot the SF). This makes a) and d) okay as a) now meets my first
preference if we are only concerned with the first message.

I slightly favour a) over the adopted solution of d), since I've by now
checked the output at the start, and, if I'm forgetful about how long there
is to go, gives me a countdown, but it's a minor preference.

ergo, the option adopted by povray is valid if not clear w/o RTFM (this is
not a insult - personally, I like debug info that doesn't require you to
RTFM, and would favour additional info during output, such as "Processing
Frame 25 of 35 (1 of 11)")
.