POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon distribution against limited memory : Re: Photon distribution against limited memory Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon distribution against limited memory
From: Dave Vogt
Date: 29 Dec 2004 11:27:36
Message: <41d2daf7@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Dave Vogt <dav### [at] newsfrozenbraincom> wrote:
>> Agreed. So what do you do if you run out of memory for some reason?
>> How do people guess how many photons need to / can be shot?
>
>   That's like asking "what sould people do if they run out of memory

Right. But it's quite easy to guess how much memory a mesh will use
IMHO; for photons, it's not. Especially not if there are refracting
objects.

So you say there's nothing you can do but to guess?

Just another idea which jumped into my mind: Statistics. I probably
could do some test renders on low photon counts (say, 2000, 4000,
6000) and see how the memory footprint changes. If that works well, I
could be happy with it.

Greets,

Dave