POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon distribution against limited memory : Re: Photon distribution against limited memory Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon distribution against limited memory
From: Dave Vogt
Date: 28 Dec 2004 16:40:17
Message: <41d1d2c0@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Dave Vogt <dav### [at] newsfrozenbraincom> wrote:
>> What about the following: Change the distribution of photons to
>> something stochastic, so the distribution is more or less even when
>> we have to stop eating memory, and we can continue with rendering.
>
>   Do you really want caustics to be grainy?

No, of course not. But I see this as the only way to be able to stop
when no more memory is availlable (the other way is to just die and
tell the user to try a smaller amount of photons, which is done
currently).

>   There's a reason why people hated the stochastic media sampling and
> thus the adaptive media sampling method was added and made the
> default. People don't like graininess.

Agreed. So what do you do if you run out of memory for some reason? How
do people guess how many photons need to / can be shot?

Greets,
Dave