POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon distribution against limited memory : Photon distribution against limited memory Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Photon distribution against limited memory
From: Dave Vogt
Date: 27 Dec 2004 17:16:21
Message: <41d089b5@news.povray.org>
Hello everybody,

I just had an idea for a problem we all probably already ran into:
Memory consumption while tracing photons. I had a scene at which,
after half a day, povray died because there was too little memory.
After thinking about it, the basic idea which came up was to just
stopping to trace photons when a given limit of RAM usage is reached.
But as I understand the documentation, there would be a problem with
the distribution of the photons, which would be uneven in this event.

What about the following: Change the distribution of photons to
something stochastic, so the distribution is more or less even when we
have to stop eating memory, and we can continue with rendering.

On the other side, I'm not a mathematician, nor am I familiar with the
POV source.. So please, tell me if this is a completely stupid idea,
or if I just found out something interesting. Or is there already a
better or at least usable solution and I didn't find it?

Greets

Dave

--
Dave "tPassive" Vogt | Linux  user  #225040 | www.frozenbrain.com     |