POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : contemporary photorealism : Re: contemporary photorealism Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contemporary photorealism
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 22 Dec 2004 07:36:26
Message: <41c96a4a$1@news.povray.org>
Loki wrote:

<snipped lengthy and meaningless reply>

Duhhhh... lets see here:

1) Image Map and/or Material Map
2) Bump Map
3) In order to get a patterned "finish" I assume by "finish" you mean
something like the specular reflection of the object, and any
highlights. The only way I know to do that is to pattern a full texture,
there is not as of yet a finish map. It can be argued this is a
deficiency or oversight.

Many of the texture schemes used in other renderers are not suitable for
raytracing. There are means to map a "channel" to a texture, etc..
IMNSHO, it makes no difference, really.

You'd be suprised what you can acheive by actually RTFM and shutting
your mouth for a few minutes... and while you're taking a well needed
rest from posting, hop over to povray.binaries.images and take a look
around. Gee, some of the texturing options can get *very* realistic,
using nothing other than the existing procedural texture system.

Why are you here on POVRay's newsgroups posting, anyway...?

--
~Mike