POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory issues : Re: Memory issues Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory issues
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 19 Dec 2004 19:30:46
Message: <41c61d36@news.povray.org>

web.41c5f5f337c0aed94d80a0910@news.povray.org...

> Interestingly, at the time it povray complains, top reports that it is
> only
> using about 2.6Gb of memory, i.e. there should still be about 3Gb left ...
> any hints what I am doing wrong or what I could tweak to get there?

Someone (see message in this group by Uplah on 24/10) reported a similar
problem with a large protein exported by VMD, so it could be that VMD
doesn't export very efficient POV-Ray code memory-wise. I haven't seen
POV-Ray code produced by VMD but I wouldn't be surprised to see thousands of
texture statements when a single one would be necessary, or mesh coordinates
duplicated when instanciation could be used. Perhaps VMD users could report
this issue to the developers to see how it can be fixed. Meanwhile, the only
solution could be to write a utility that would process the VMD's POV-Ray
code into something more memory-friendly.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com