POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : contemporary photorealism : Re: contemporary photorealism Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:13:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contemporary photorealism
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 14 Dec 2004 16:34:35
Message: <41bf5c6b$1@news.povray.org>
SNIP

Interesting in-depth analysis. Not that many of the things were covered in
various threads, but this sums up a few things rather nicely. Nontheless, if
you hadn't noticed: many of these things are gradually making their way into
POV-Ray via MegaPOV, POV-Man (I think that's the one with
Renderman-Shader-Compability, right?) and other patches. Once they've been
thoroughly tested, they find their way into the official version. That was
the case with some of the media methods, isosurfaces etc.

Another thing you have to note is that though some things aren't possible
with POV-Ray within a reasonable timeframe, others can be made possible with
the right amount of patience and POV-SDL. Have a look at Jaimes Vives
Piquere's Macros for nice light-setups.

Overall, I'd just place my 2 cents and say that POV-Ray never worked under
any outside pressure, it just did what the POV-Team and the Community liked.
If there's someone capable of implementing prompt subsurface-scattering,
someone will eventually code it. Still, there's only so much you can do if
you want to stay true to the raytracing-technique and not make use of
several faking techniques to simulate one effect or another (e.g. I'd count
sprite-lensflares to such faking effects).

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"