POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiger stripes : Re: Tiger stripes Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiger stripes
From: Jim Charter
Date: 13 Dec 2004 16:42:19
Message: <41be0cbb@news.povray.org>
Barehunter wrote:
> Hello. I am doing a picture of a white tiger. I almost have the body
> complete. what is stumping me is doing the stripes. I started using
> image_maps which seems to work. But I have to create each image_map picture
> by hand. Is there any formulaic way to generate black stripes on a white
> background using pigments or patterns? Thank you.

You use orthographic camera and apply any pigment pattern you want to a
surface. The technique is used often in POV.
A classic example would be the water texture in:
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1999-08-31/canyon.jpg

But one thing you might look at, that you might not ordinarily think of
and  because it is much like drawing is the object pattern.  The trick
is to generate a texture list where the layered textures use a
transparent pigment for the outer part of the pattern

ie:

camera {
   orthographic
   location <0,0,-1>    // position & direction of view
   look_at  <0,0,0>
   right 1*x            // horizontal size of view
   up 1*y               // vertical size of view
}

#local Sd = seed(1234);
box {                  // this box fits exactly in view
   <-0.5, -0.5, 0>, <0.5, 0.5, 0>

   texture { finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0 } pigment { rgb <1, 1, 1> } }
   #local i=0;#while( i<20 )
         texture { finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0 }
                 pigment {
                         object {
                                 sphere { 0 .04*rand(Sd) }
                                 color rgbt 1