POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rotating : Rotating Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Rotating
From: Bryan Heit
Date: 9 Dec 2004 18:14:36
Message: <41b8dc5c$1@news.povray.org>
I have an unusual and long question about rotating.  I'm working on
making some 3D models of some proteins for work.  Some of these proteins
have portions which move relative to other parts of the protein.  I want
to be able to move these parts relative to each other.  At this point I
am achieving this by drawing each "half" of the protein as a separate
object, rotating/translating the moving part, and then "unioning" them
together.

The problem with this process is that when I rotate the objects rotate
around their centres, rather then around the point where they join.  At
this point this isn't a huge problem, but in the future I am planning on
animating these things, and it would be quite difficult to do so using
the current model.  What I was wondering is if there was a way to set-up
an object such that the "centre of rotation" was at a specified place,
rather then where the computer assigns it.

Thanx

Bryan