POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ingenious snow placement? : Re: Ingenious snow placement? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ingenious snow placement?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 7 Dec 2004 17:27:07
Message: <41b62e3b$1@news.povray.org>
> Good luck. Post some news if you implement any of his ideas, i'd be
> interested in hearing.

Well, the technique he explains is more or less suited for triangle-based
scenes, as it uses (and needs) surfaces of geometry to work. An
implementation of this should be possible for a heightfield (and I'm sure
I'll try it eventually :-), but converting this from triangle-based to a
geometric-based algorithm might be rather tricky.

How would I go about and find the top-surfaces of a given object? Running
across it and collecting data is the first idea that comes to mind. But if I
would be able to do so easily, I would already have my "quick-and-dirty"
solution to place some snow on my tree.
Still, the approach seems well worth some thought: instead of dropping snow
from the sky, it checks the surfaces how easily something from the sky would
hit a single surface. Thus, you don't have to drop tons of snowflakes from
the sky and look where they end up, you just check the surfaces and generate
some statistics. And since you're checking *every* surface, there won't be a
spot left which would have been missed if you had used too little
snow-particles.

Ah well, some more thoughts need to be spent on this, but if I write a set
of macros for this, I'll sure release them. Like I always do. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"