POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No output image file? : Re: No output image file? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No output image file?
From: Alain
Date: 6 Dec 2004 17:42:21
Message: <41b4e04d$1@news.povray.org>
Uplah nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004-12-06 07:37... :

>Hello all!
>
>I'm back on POV-ray 3.6.1 for windows, trying to render a high res scene of
>2 molecules overlaid on top each other. Unbelievably, the .pov file VMD
>generated is 1.3GB! I've tried it in both POV-ray and MegaPOV, but no image
>file is generated. It just says:
>
>Total Scene Processing Times
>  Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>  Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>  Cloth Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>  Mechsim Time:  0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>  Render Time:   0 hours  9 minutes 44 seconds (584 seconds)
>  Postpr. Time:  0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>  Total Time:    0 hours  9 minutes 44 seconds (584 seconds)
>CPU time used: kernel 8.94 seconds, user 275.69 seconds, total 284.63
>seconds
>
>POV-Ray finished
>
>I've tested the program with other scenes and it works fine. Does anyone
>know what I can do to fix this? I have 1GB RAM and various free GBs of hard
>disk space over many partitions.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Uplah

It must generate the molecule as a mesh. Try reducing the persision:
less steps = less triangles = smaller file. Can you alter the presision
of the numbers? You probably don't need 6 to 9 digits presision, 4 may
be enough, or even 3.
This may result in some facing/bumpiness, but if it may remain to an
acceptable level.

Alain